Chocolate Pumpkin Patch Cake
It’s a rich and creamy chocolate pumpkin cake, topped with chocolate ganache and juicy strawberries! The strawberries are dipped in orange candy melts to create mini strawberry pumpkins. We placed them on the cake and used mint to make it look like the most delicious pumpkin patch. Super easy to make and even cuter to serve!
1 ½ cup flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ cup sugar
6 oz buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp canned pumpkin puree
3 large eggs
CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING:
1 cup heavy cream
16 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate morsels
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil
1 bag white chocolate melts
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Food dye (orange/red)
12 California Strawberries
Handful of mint with stem and leaves attached or another herb with stem and leaves will work.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl, lightly whisk and set aside.
- Combine all of the liquid ingredients, including the eggs, in a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- Slowly pour in the liquid ingredients to combine with the dry ingredients. Mix well until incorporated.
- Pour into a greased 9"x13" baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Let the cake cool before frosting.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING
- In a double boiler, add the heavy cream and the chocolate morsels and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Let the ganache cool slightly before frosting the cake.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white candy melts for 40 seconds. A
- Stir until the candy melts are fully melted.
- Add in the vegetable oil and stir until smooth.
- Add food dye until desirable color
- Dip in a strawberry and coat entirely in candy melt. Let the strawberry sit on parchment paper to harden. Repeat this step 12 times.
- Add the rest of the melted candy into a piping bag and cut a tiny hole at the bottom.
- Pipe lines on the covered strawberry to make it look like a pumpkin.
- Place the strawberries on the cake and add mint stems and leaves to make it look like the pumpkins are connected.
- For the best result - let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 min